Thursday, October 27, 2011

Life Smiles at Those Who smile at Life

Good Morning on this beautiful morning..

It is another beautiful day. The month is coming to an end and so is the year come to think of it . The trees are shedding their leaves and soon the green grass will be brown. There could be a metaphor here reminding us that eventually we will all have to shed our "leaves" , our coverings.. the material things that make us feel beautiful and safe and warm and hide our flaws and crooked limbs. Maybe in the big scheme of things that is why we have Autumn ....a time to make ourselves naked so to speak and free of all that encumbers us so that in December we can quietly assess our paths and where we are going and what our lives are all about and what is the meaning of life to us.

Certainly for me it is a time to reflect what I am all about. I am in that time of my life where I am close to that infamous " ticket window ". My genes tell me that I will probably live a lot longer but I am definitely in the last lap of my "run". So this is why it is even more important to remember this quote because even in the Winter of my life, I still want to keep dreaming and planning and seeing life as a wonderful challenge even as I shed my leaves. And so I smile. Life is good.

I love this quote because it is so true. What makes my life better is how I perceive it. Even in the worst situations, and after living this long, believe me, I have had them, how I perceive life is so important. Even with those bad moments, I cried, sobbed and dealt with all of the nasty stuff, the pain of abandonment and rejection but eventually I had to smile because in spite of all of the darkness there is always the light.

I found out something else about life and smiling. Those who can laugh at themselves have the gift of humility. I think that when we can smile at our own shortcomings and failings, we recognize our own humanity . We are not caught up in the false pride that we are above limitations. This kind of false pride is what brings us down. It feeds arrogance and greed and the inability to empathize and most of all the ability to forgive others. This is sad because what happens is that when we judge others without forgiveness we judge ourselves the same.

So today I want to smile at life . So grab your cup of coffee and let's smile together.

No comments: